The Hobart Town Courier Friday 17 November 1837 Supplement: Supplement to the Hobart Town Courier., page 2.
The Hobart Town Courier, Friday 5 January 1838, page 2
THIRD AND LAST EMBARKATION OF HIGHLANDERS TO AUSTRALIA FOR THE SEASON
Ships to Australia 1837-39
From the British Parliamentary Papers of 1839 II – Respecting Emigration to the Colonies
The selection was made by a selecting officer. 320 people embarked on the BRILLIANT and there was only one death recorded. The BRILLIANT was built in MONTREAL in 1834 and was 429 tons. She was taken up by the EMIGRATION DEPARTMENT on August 19 1837 in LEITH . The emigrants embarked in the HEBRIDES. The name of the owner was S PATERSON and she was hired at the rate of 4pounds 17/6 per ton. A. Campbell was the Surgeon Superintendent on the voyage. The BRILLIANT departed on the 27 Sep 1837 and arrived in NSW on 27 Jan 1838. 126 days at sea with a touching at the Cape on 29 Nov 1837.
"They Came in the Brilliant: A History of the McLaurin, McMee" Author: J. O. Randell
Title: They Came in the Brilliant: A History of the McLaurin, McMeekin and Paton Families
From Log Of Logs, Vol.2. By Ian Nicholson
McLeod Family of Ulmarra
Letters published in Sydney Morning Herald in January 1838 regarding the voyage of the "Brilliant"
NSW State Records film # 1288 SCOTTISH BOUNTY MIGRANTS.
|ON THE BRILLIANT||1837-1838|
JOHN McGREGOR .
Meanwhile Queen Victoria was being crowned as per following article
When Victoria Was Crowned; DESCRIPTION OF THE CORONATION OF 1838, BY AN EYE-WITNESS OF THE IMPOSING CEREMONIAL.
|FROM THE CEMETERIES SITE OF GREAT LAKE HISTORICAL MUSEUM
JANET/JENNETT MCLEAN ALSO SAILED FROM TOBER MORY IN THE ISLE OF MULL.
TOBER MORY BY JAMES WISEMAN http://www.jameswiseman.com/tobermory.php
OTHER MCLEANS ON THE BRILLIANT.
|THERE are a lot of MCLEANS on this BRILLIANT trip of 1838.
Some of them include:
MCLEAN Allan 49
MCLEAN Allan 28
MCLEAN Allan 19
MCLEAN Anne 18
MCLEAN Anne 15
|MORE MCLEANS ON THE BRILLIANT 1838
MCLEAN Archibald 22
MCLEAN Archibald 16
MCLEAN Bell 25 Brilliant
MCLEAN Charles 36
Wife 35; farm servant
|MORE MCLEANS ON THE BRILLIANT 1838
MCLEAN Donald 28 Brilliant
MCLEAN Donald 30
MCLEAN Dugald 30
MCLEAN Ellen 20
MCLEAN Hugh 23
MCLEAN Isabella 20
MCLEAN James 16
MCLEAN Janet 18
MCLEAN Janet 29
MCLEAN John 32
MCLEAN John 32
MCLEAN Marion 68
MCLEAN Mary 27
MCLEAN Roderick 35
MCLEAN Roderick 30
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, Saturday 27 January 1838
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, Tuesday 30 January 1838, page 3
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, Saturday 3 February 1838, page 4
|ALONG THE TWEED RIVER NEAR CONDONG||EARLY 2008|
|IN THE VICINITY OF THE BELL LAND||ON TWEED VALLEY WAY|
JOHN BELL’S land survey is dated 1869. His marriage to MARY ANN MCNEIL took place 27 June 1878 down South in the Taree district. Was he in the north before that or did he not come north until that time ?
From ROY BURTON; at the time of the marriage John gave his place of residence as RAWDON VALE district of GLOUCESTER. Witnesses to the marriage were JOSEPH LAURIE and MARGARET BELL. JOSEPH LAURIE Senior owned property in the RAWDON VALE locality. The witness Joseph was probably the 5th son of Joseph Snr. Refer to the Early History of the Camden Haven p 16. “THE LAURIES”. He was probably best man and was living at PEACH GROVE now known as LAURIETON at the time of the marriage. MARGARET BELL is possibly JOHN’S SISTER. It is possible John worked for the Lauries at Rawdon Vale. After the wedding they moved to the Tweed River where John was cane farming. he was invalided after an accident and the family move from the Tweed to Laurieton in 1892. John died in 1919 and Mary Ann died in 1935.
We still have not located JOHN’S birth in BDMS.
NORMAN BELL was the older brother of JOHN BELL wife of MARY ANN MCNEIL. They had adjoining land at CONDONG on the TWEED.
Their parents were JAMES AND WILHELMINA as noted elsewhere. James was the housebreaker transported from Glasgow in 1831 on the YORK and WILHELMINA was the daughter of WILLIAM MCLEOD and JANET MACKAY who came on the JAMES MORAN in 1839. They married in 1839 at MAITLAND when WILHELMINA was 17 years old. Check in the search engine to the right for further details. It appears at this time that the Mcleods and Mackays came as a result of the ruthless clearances of the Sutherland Shires in the HIGHLANDS of Scotland. In the 1860s the BELL boys have land on the TWEED. The NSW BDM records indicate that their father JAMES died in 1859( to be verified). I do not know what brought the boys ( and perhaps more members of their family north from the Maitland Area). Land is also indicated to belong to WILHELLMINA BELL – mother ? sister ? daughter ?
NORMAN BELL was born 1845 and died 15 June 1924 . He is buried in BARRINGTON CEMETERY. His occupations are listed at TWEED RIVER HISTORICAL SOCIETY as farmer/grazier. Whilst on Tweed he was resident at CONDONG. Norman married in 1870 at DUNGOG NSW. His wife was AGNES FRASER HIGGINS and her mother was JANET LAURIE. As my mother used to tell me the BELLS and the LAURIES were ‘tied in somehow”. Her father was JOHN HIGGINS. Agnes Higgins was born at Pt Stephens in 1846 and died in CHATSWOOD, SYDNEY in 1929.
|names||birthdate and place||marriage date and spouse||death date and place|
|JANET LAURIE||1871 TWEED RIVER||1898 GEORGE BIGNELL MURWILLUMBAH|
|WILLIMINA A||1872 TWEED RIVER||JOHN A. GUNN COPELAND 1895||1911 STROUD NSW|
|JAMES WALTER||1874 PORT STEPHENS||15-8-1886 NSW|
|AGNES MARY||1876 PORT STEPHENS||GORDON A D CLARK STROUD 1915|
|ELIZABETH J||1878 PORT STEPHENS||JOHN STACE||PORT STEPHENS 1903|
|MARGARET CHRISTINA||1881 BARRINGTON||THOMAS FARLEY CRICK SYDNEY 1907|
|MARY HENRIETTA||1883 COPELAND||WILLIAM JAMES MARTIN STROUD 1907||22-8-1938 KRAMBACH NSW|
|JOHN JAMES||1889 COPELAND||1923 BARRINGTON|
|NOREINE F||1893 COPELAND|
From these dates it appears Norman left the Tweed district by the early 1870s whereas John’s Children are born on Tweed between 1879 and 1890 with the youngest being born at Laurieton in the early 90s. Hmm. A rethink required again.
THE INFORMATION I HAVE IS THAT NO 49 IS JOHN BELL’S LAND . ( YET TO BE VERIFIED AS ONE MAP INDICATES CONDONG AND ONE IS FURTHER ALONG NEAR STOTTS CREEK)
GEORGE BIGNELL. IN 1898 AT MURWILLUMBAH MARRIED JANET LAURIE BELL DAUGHTER OF NORMAN BELL WHO WAS BROTHER OF JOHN BELL, GRANNY’S HUSBAND. http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=22518
FROM THE NATIONAL LIBRARY OF AUSTRALIA HISTORIC NEWSPAPERS
There is mention of a MR BELL managing the ABBOTSFORD SUGAR MILL on the TWEED.
http://www.mit.edu/~dfm/genealogy/sercombe.html Sercombe Families
JOHN BELL WAS INJURED IN A CANE ACCIDENT -so we are told- on the Tweed. By 1892 the land at Condong is no longer in his name and John becomes known only as the INVALID MR BELL. The Bells then move to LAURIETON and Granny lives there till her death on Nov 5 1935.
THE CHILDREN OF JOHN AND MARY ANN BELL :
|NAME||DOB||PLACE OF BIRTH|
|ANNE MCLEOD||1883||TWEED RIVER|
|LESLIE DONALD RAYMOND||1887||TWEED RIVER|
LINKS TO THE BELLS IN LAURIETON.
SON OF JOHN AND MARY ANN BELL ( GRANNY).
ROY MCNEIL BELL.
Laurieton PO, Laurieton, New South Wales
Age at embarkation
Next of kin
Father, John Bell, Laurieton, New South Wales
14 March 1916
Rank on enlistment
34th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number
Unit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A15 Port Sydney on 4 September 1916
LAURIETON IN THE 1890s
Marshalls of Laurieton – A Family Who Gave More Than Most for King and Country http://www.alchin.info/volume5/volume5_007_sawyers_east_indoa_docks_descendants_william_alchin.html
On 5th November 1891, James STACE who was 67, died in the De Frains Timber Mill at Laurieton. Twelve (12) years later, Mary also passed away with the couple buried at Laurieton Cemetery.
Sussex to New South Wales:
– the Fairhall Family
WAUCHOPE PUBLIC SCHOOL http://www.bebo.com/Blog.jsp?MemberId=4044601510
Born at Taree on June 27 1859 she married John Bell in 1878 and from this union came a family of nine children : James, Norman, Anne, Janet, Mary, Roy, Elizabeth and William.
Henry Flett (ca.1810-1877), was born at Caithness, Scotland and arrived at NSW in 1834. In 1841 he married Mary Wynter whose father Lieutenant William Wynter owned the Taree Estate. After buying the Taree Estate from his father-in-law, Flett divided it into tenant farms. He had Taree surveyed and laid out as a town in 1854. He was elected a member of the NSW Legislative Assembly for the seat of The Hastings (1859-1864).
LINKS TO THE MANNING IN THE 1800s;
Manning Valley Historical Society
COMMERCIAL BANKING COMPANY OF SYDNEY OFFICERS CLUB http://www.cbcbank.com.au/
PEERS OF MARY ANNE MCNEIL.
Family History pages of Diane Edwards JAMES WILLIAM TISDELL http://www.diane.sheather.co.uk/_sgg/m3m1_1.htm
Brabyns and Mills http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/genealogy/MyAncestors_brabyn_mills.htm BRABYNS ARE IN TAREE AS WELL.
http://familyhistory.celyoneill.com/davis.html The Davis Family
Descendants of *Patrick Hough http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ewfamily/Descendants%20of%20Patrick%20Hough.htm THOMAS3 HOUGH
(JOHN, PATRICK HOUGH ) was born 1858 in Raymond Terrace, NSW, Australia, and died 1957. He married BRIDGET A MOYLAN 1887 in Taree, NSW, Australia. She was born 1859 in Taree, NSW, Australia
Bridget Agnes MOYLAN Born 11th December 1859 in Taree. http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/family/KenMoylan/OtherMoylanFamilies.html
Ancestors of Marc Hillman http://users.tpg.com.au/mhillman/hillman/f14.htm (CHECK Mary HOSEGOOD This family includes DEVONSHIRE people possbly inc Tiverton. One Homeplace of Sanders) It also includes a Bellinger man;
Thomas Burchill FOGARTY AKA: John Thomas SHAW Born: 1866 – Bellingen River, NSW, Australia
OwenJones Family Historyhttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~owenjones/des_gen/ind874.html
Taree Estate Pioneer Cemetery http://www.ozgenonline.com/aust_cemeteries/nsw/greater_taree/tareestate.htm
SHIPS THAT NEVER RETURNED.
THAT LEFT AUSTRALIAN Ports.
The Brisbane Courier Tuesday 25 March 1890, page 6.